Tuesday 19 January 2010

Full Frame Poster Competition


THEME 
We don’t have one, but here are some things we like: 
Mountains Trees Anatomical drawings Scientific illustrations Collage Buildings Wood grain Blueprints Ed Ruscha Gig posters Silhouettes Dogs Aerial photography Kodachrome Negative space European compact cars Aircraft Lines Penguin books Criterion covers Kites Alligator Bikes Stencils Beaches in winter Suitcases Power tools Letterpress Telephone lines Gymnasiums Tom Waits Things not made on a computer Freshwater fish Semaphore flags pennants Icebergs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------






Bolex is a Swiss company (Bolex International S.A. of Yverdon) that manufactures motion picture cameras and lenses, the most notable products of which are in the 16 mm and Super 16 mm formats. Bolex cameras were particularly important for early television news, nature films, documentaries and the avant garde, and are still favoured by many animators today. Whilst some later models are electrically powered, the majority of those manufactured since the 1930s use a spring-wound clockwork. The 16 mm spring-wound Bolex is a popular introductory camera in film schools.

Today, the Bolex factory in Switzerland continues to produce 16mm and Super 16 film cameras and exports them to many countries, particularly to the USA.

Bolex in Switzerland is specialized in the conversion to Super 16 of all Bolex H16 Reflex camera, whether with C-mount rotating turret or with a bayonet-mount.


The Bolex H16 Rex 5 is a common camera used as an introductory tool at most film schools and as written above were important in the production of documentary films and continued to be used today.
I would like to incorporate an image of a Bolex camera somewhere within my design, to acknowledge the history behind documentary films.
----------------------------------------------------------------------



Theme research. I've included contextual research of Penguin books on my design context blog.
Penguin have a very strong visual style, which is iconic and offers a wide range of development and range of layouts. I don't want to spend too much time on this brief so by the end of the week it'll be completed. Time and project management is a necessity for me on this module. I want to produce stunning visual work without wasting time dithering making tweaks until i run out of time. I want to produce solutions quickly and if need be later on, if i have time, edit them again because i'll never truly be happy. A piece of work is never fully finished, there is always something that can be done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------






I wanted to create an iconic poster for the Full Frame Competition and as i mentioned above Penguin books have an iconic design style for their books it is easily replicated and the boundaries of Penguin designs can be pushed to the limit.

I wanted to demonstrate the history of documentary films so my research above into different cameras they used i found the Bolex H16 Reflex 5 was the first designated documentary film camera. When i got to the production side of my design i struggled to create a Penguin feel that demonstrated not only my abilities as a designer but the feel of a worthy entry.

I did however want to continue using a film camera as my central image.
I created this using a reference image


The camera reflected what i wanted to convey within the poster and enabled me to experiment in Illustrator with line work and textures


This was my initial mac'd up design. As always my first designs required alot of work. I was happy however with the image work i'd produced and kept adding smaller details. The type information i needed to include within the poster was causing me difficulty. In particular, was choosing a typeface that i thought suited the event. I went with FF DIN.



Over the design practice 3 module i grew a greater understanding of the importance of type and layout yet i was struggling to find a layout that i felt worked.


Changing the format of the image was not the answer.


I was nearly there with this poster. One of the themes from the brief was lines and negative space. I think this design demonstrated elements of both those themes. The size of the small yellow type was hard to read. Since this is the main information it needed to be bigger and spread across more than two lines - the durham, north carolina looks squashed.

A requirement of the poster design is to feature the Full Frame Festival logo

It must be placed within the design and be no smaller than 2" wide. Anyway this caused some problems so i added the handle onto the camera.


I dropped the type down a bit because i didn't like the spacing between the handle on the camera and the type.



This brief lasted me the whole of 2+hours. Maybe a bit too long but it definitely got me into the working mode i've been missing since we got back. I've been working on a lot of self-promotion on the side.
Check my flickr to see

Over this short brief i learnt what amazing results i can produce from starting on paper and exploring different options in illustrator or photoshop. I stuck to a simple colour palette that was eye catching and a little different.

I changed the colour of the logo to make it less in your face. I'm not sure whether this will pass in the judging but i prefer it without the logo. And will probably show it without on my website

No comments:

Post a Comment